Friday, November 12, 2010

5 Noob

I'm a bit of a Noob. 

Really, it’s true. I have no idea what I’m doing half the time and I often feel like I am the last one to learn something new.  

“What’s a Noob?” you may well ask. Excellent question :) 

Wikipedia (quite possibly the best informational resource for any true Noob - though don’t  go referencing it in your academic work) describes Noob as “a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity”. If you’re really interested, you can read more about Noobs and the origin of the term here.  

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a computer Noob (not that there’s anything wrong with that!). I can write a blog (well, here’s hoping anyway). Heck, I even have my very own Facebook page. But, while I am reasonably computer-literate, my true Noobility (yep, I just coined that one) lies in the world of Video Gaming.  

Yes, I’m a Noob Gamer and I’m a girl. 

The story is simple - girl meets boy, boy plays video game, girl tries to stand between boy and game, boy doesn’t even notice, girl wonders what’s so good about stupid game, girl secretly plays while boy isn’t home, girl likes it and becomes noob gamer. 

Actually, it’s more common than you’d think. According to this article written in May last year, two-thirds of Australians play video games, with more than 46% of gamers being women. Long gone are the days of gamers being pimply teenaged boys with a moon tan and bad grammar. According to Kotaku (the online “Gamer’s Guide”), 2 out of 5 gamers are female and the age of the average gamer is 32. 

Sounds like me to a tee. 

So, with that in mind, and the incredible luck of being a Librarian involved in the Western Australia Public Libraries’ Web 2.0 training, I am going to try and write this blog for Gamer Librarians everywhere. I think you’ll be surprised by the relationship between the two! 

If you’re not a gamer, don’t be put off - I also love reading (did I really need to add that?), watch a lot of movies and have been told by many that I think too much (is that even possible?). So I can guarantee my blog won’t be filled with relentless gamish techno-jargon (yep, just coined that one too!). Stay tuned for news, reviews and general ramblings - and happy gaming to all!

5 comments:

SLM said...

omigosh, lookee at you, with your binary decorations and links in your text. no way are you a noob! hehe

Michael said...

I didnt know you were interested in games! We gotta talk.

Michael said...

Ok, ignore my last comment. I was told you were someone else. Damn the anononymity of the internet (thats how you spell it right?)

Saire said...

Awww! It's okay! We can still talk through the Internet ;)

Mel said...

I have recently been informed that I a "newb" not a "noob".

Apparently the current (?) definition of a Noob is a person who is ignorant of the niceties of social game interaction and doesn't care to change.

A newb is is ignorant of the niceties of social game interaction but gets embaressed and changes behaviour when these failings are pointed out.

But then that may be WoW-specific definitions :)

Post a Comment