Saturday, January 8, 2011

2 Playstation Move - Sat 8 Jan 2011



So, I bought the man a Playstation Move Starter Pack for Christmas. He was impressed (of course) and promptly challenged me to a game (or 20) of Sports Champions.


We played Disc Golf and Bocce, which were both great fun, but Bocce, in particular, had me thinking about the comic strip Clarity on Penny Arcade. You know, all you really need is your own Bocce set and you're playing Bocce - you don't really need a game console ...


In any case, I have to say I am quite liking the Move, and its the girl in me that must admit, I'm liking it for its social aspect. So many games for the Playstation are single player games, that its nice to have a bit of social fun now and again.


Of course, I can't forget to mention the joy of competition that it brings! If your household is anything like mine, you'll know that gaming competition is thinly veiled by clench-teethed commendations and passive-aggressive praise; and many a game has ended with the loser sullenly claiming they have "had enough for now".


One of the funnier parts of playing the Move, is that when you are a winner, the Eye Camera takes a photo of you for posterity. I am the Disc Golf champ in our house, and am already on my way to winning the Silver Cup. Here's my Victory Pose, after winning the bronze (yes, I am wearing pyjamas):




The big purple circle near my head is the "disc" (also known as a frisbee) that the Move superimposes into your hand where the Move controller should be. Pretty cool. 


The Playstation Move is great fun, really, and I see it quickly becoming one of our favourite toys. Now if only dish washing evoked the same level of interest ...

2 comments:

Tahlula said...

I haven't tried this one out but I think you have convinced me. Thank you.

jw said...

Yeah, a console game version bocce really does sound like the punchline to a joke. Then again it's not a silly sounding as Sim Crane Operator.

Post a Comment