Sunday, February 20, 2011

2 In which Saire is thrilled by an Orchestral performance - Sun 20 Feb 2011

Having reached an all new level of Neanderthal-like hermitry in recent weeks (you know, never leaving the house and barely covering your nakedness with rags just in case someone happens to see through the window), I figured it was high time to Step Away from the Console and Do Something ™.


Thus, prompted by the involvement of the lovely Alethea, last night I ventured to the wilds of Midland, to see a performance by the Hills Symphony Orchestra.


The theme for the night was "Spot The Segue", in which each piece of music the orchestra played was somehow linked to the preceding piece, and the delightful Conductor would invoke the audience to call out between tunes if they had "spotted" the segue. Alas, this game was way beyond my pre-school level knowledge of classical music, and much of the Conductor's in-joke commentary was lost on my ignorant ears.


BUT, music is the universal language, and once the orchestra began to play, I could understand completely. What a fantastic performance it was, with music including an excerpt from Scheherezade, the hauntingly beautiful Greensleeves and, in an encore performance, the crowd-pleasing Toreador's Song from Carmen. My favourite piece for the night was Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet - Op. 64: 13 (Alethea, please correct me if this is wrong!).


Seeing the Hills Symphony Orchestra was the best $5 I've spent since Coles last had that 2 for 1 deal on Omo washing powder. Very impressive. 


For your viewing pleasure, I have included a video of the London Symphony Orchestra performing Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights here. Behold the excellence! :




2 comments:

irena said...

Goose bumps! One of my favoured pieces.

Saire said...

Isn't it just fabulous? :)

Post a Comment