Saturday, March 5, 2011

1 Movie Review - Grandma's Boy - Sat 5 Mar 2011


Grandma's Boy (2006)


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Grandma's Boy, a comedy from Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions, follows Alex (Allen Covert) a 35 year old game tester, who is evicted from his rental home after his room-mate spends all the rent money on "exotic massage therapists".


After staying at a friend's house and disgracing himself, Alex realises he'll have to stay with his Grandma Lily (played by Everybody Loves Raymond's Doris Roberts), a lovely old woman with two kooky room-mates.


Things start to get difficult when the deadline for testing "Eternal Death Slayer 3" looms and Alex's new room-mates keep him from working by giving him innumerable chores and hogging the only television set in the house.


Joel David Moore gives a fantastic performance as J.P., a prodigy game designer with a penchant for pleather and aspirations of becoming a robot. Coincidentally, you can find Moore in another game-referencing movie, playing Norm Spellman in James Cameron's 2009 blockbuster Avatar.


There are also cool cameo performances by Jonah Hill (best known for his roles in Superbad and Knocked Up)  and Nick Swardson (Jon Heder's stalker in Blades of Glory), who plays Alex's boyish friend Jeff. There's even a couple of blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes with Rob Schneider playing a Russian landlord and David Spade as a short-tempered vegan waiter named Shiloh.


Covert is likeable as the hard-done-by protagonist Alex, and his group of co-workers are all good fun, even if they are a little stereotyped. My favourite scenes include Alex beating the other testers at "Frog Bog" and Jeff meeting his "Silver Fox".


I really enjoyed this film with its fictional gaming references and gamer in-jokes, and if I weren't a Librarian, I'd LOVE to work at Brainasium! 


If you love gaming, love a good laugh and you're not easily offended by drug-fuelled toilet humour, then Grandma's Boy is the film for you.


Still not convinced? Here's the YouTube trailer:

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! If I didn't work for DISH Network, I'd love to work at Brainasium as well! Lol. This movie is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time! I've seen it a million times, but it still continues to make me laugh out loud! I'm also a subscriber of DISH Network, so I have their Sling Adapter and DISH Remote Access app set up on my phone so I'm able to bring this movie with me everywhere I go, since I have it recorded on my DVR at home! I literally watch this movie at least once a day. Lol. DISH has a really good deal going on with the Adapter too, check it out http://bit.ly/jizbUh. :)

Post a Comment